It’s the most wonderful time of the year full of holiday cheer and Christmas miracles; it all seems so magical, that’s what the cheesy holiday movies portray, right? But are you prepared for the unwanted visitors and mishaps? The holidays are one of the most likely times for a home break-in. Don’t let the unwanted happen to you, instead enjoy each moment worry-free by following a few security tips.
The Christmas tree is the focal point in the house, don’t let it be the source of a fire. According to the National Fire Protection Association, a heat source too close to the tree causes roughly one in every four of the fires.
- Make sure the tree is at least three feet away from any heat source, like fireplaces, radiators, candles, heat vents or lights.
- Do not have the tree blocking an exit.
- Real trees: add water to the stand daily.
- Always turn off Christmas tree lights before leaving home or going to bed.
Protect your packages
Whether it be the packages under the tree, in your car or on your doorstep, make sure they remain yours and not fall into the hands of a burglar.
- Keep packages out of site in the car while shopping.
- Store wrapped presents away from windows at the house to avoid the temptation for someone breaking in.
- Know when packages are being delivered and who is at your doorstep with packages or potentially removing packages with SkyBell video doorbell.
- After the packages are ripped open, break down boxes so they don’t sit on your curb letting everyone know what’s inside the house.
Light up your home
Gone for a few days? Working? Home alone? Inside and out, burglars hate well-lit areas.
- Make your home look lived in while you are away.
- A home security system with integrated home automation allows you to control your lights, doors and more from the palm of your hand.
- If you are away, have neighbors or friends remove snow or make tire tracks in your driveway to create the idea you are home.
Let the Experts Help
- Burglars are less likely to break into a home with a security system. Take some time to make sure yours is working correctly.
- Display or get a yard sign or sticker for your window to let people know you have a security system protecting you.
- Fires: put a monitored combination smoke and carbon monoxide detector in your home and reduce the potential damage if something were to happen.
- Upgrade your security with video monitoring, SkyBell video doorbell or other home automation products, to help you control your security and catch someone if they do break in or take something from your home.
Now that you are ready to enjoy the holiday season with friends, family and those lovely in-laws, let us help you create security unique to your needs. At Custom Alarm, we have been helping families enjoy worry-free holiday cheer, year-round since 1968.
Call us today to learn how we can help you! 507.288.5522