October 8-14 is National Fire Prevention Week. Celebrated to bring awareness to the public about the importance of fire prevention and how you and your family can take steps to stay safe.
In a fire, seconds count. Seconds can mean the difference between residents of our community escaping safely from a fire or having their lives end in tragedy.
This year’s theme is “Every Second Counts: ‘Plan 2 Ways Out!” This reinforces why everyone needs to have an escape plan.
What can you do to prepare your family in case of a fire?
- Draw a map of your home. Mark two exits from each room and a path to the outside from each exit.
- Teach children how to escape on their own in case you are unable to help them.
- Practice your home fire drills twice a year.
- Make sure the number on your home is clearly marked and easy for the fire department to find.
- Close doors behind you as you leave, this can slow the spread of smoke, heat and fire.
- Once you get outside, stay outside. Do not go back into a burning building.
Help celebrate Fire Prevention Week with Custom Alarm as the Rochester Fire Department will be hosting an open house at all 5 fire stations October 10-12 from 6-8 pm. Meet and greet firefighters and grab some fire safety materials. Custom Alarm will be at stations 1 & 4 with your chance to win a free smoke detector from us. Don’t miss out on the family fun!
In October & November, we are offering a FREE smoke and carbon monoxide detector with every new monitored system. Protect your home or business from possible dangers, damages and costly insurance claims.
For more information on how Custom Alarm can help protect your home or business call 507.288.5522 or visit custom-alarm.com.